There are several costs associated with Blended Learning, short-term and long-term. It is important to have a long-term financing plan in order to assure the sustainability of new learning solutions.
- The implementation of e-learning or blended learning is associated with costs for technology, rooms, trainings, support personnel, software, etc.
- Because the introduction of new technology takes a lot of time and effort and requires users to change their habits, it is important that sufficient funds are available to support its implementation
- What is often overlooked is the need for support personnel for technological issues
- Equally or more important, users also need professional assistance to get from an idea (creating a course on a specific topic) to the finished product (an online learning module)
- This usually requires dedicated personnel, which helps with webwriting (text for the web needs to follow special guidelines), image and video processing, creating of online surveys and test, etc.
- If user support is not part of the financial plan, the potential of technological innovations may be short-changed
Business, university, further education
- Make a detailed financing plan that includes all factors
- Involve all the stakeholders in the planning process
- Provide long-term support by assuring, that support personnel does not change frequently. Due to the high learning curve, valuable know-how and informal knowledge may be lost
- Budget for blended learning
- Hierarchical structure of the organisation
- Understanding of the requirements of blended learning on the part of the decision makers
- Involving all stakeholders in the planning and decision process is a key factor!
long-term planning, blended learning budget